When’s the last time you had your chimney cleaned?

You likely haven’t turned to your chimney for extra warmth yet this winter, since we’re still experiencing rather mild weather. However, here in a few weeks, we’re expecting to see a drop in the temperatures; if you’re planning to use your fireplace, make sure your chimney is clean and ready for the job! A dirty chimney can cause numerous problems, both in your home and to your health, not to mention any marshmallows roasted might taste a bit too smoky to eat. Prevent potential hazards by scheduling an annual cleaning!

House Fires

Every year, nearly 25,000 chimney fires occur, causing roughly 120 million dollars in damages. Between 2009-2013, the NFPA found that 30 percent of home fires occurred due to poorly maintained chimneys. Homes fires can be devastating and even cause injuries or deaths. Cracks and/or structural problems allow for sparks and and embers to escape to your roof or attic, igniting unwanted flames. Don’t risk your safety – schedule your appointment today!

Exposure to Creosote

A dirty chimney can significantly harm your indoor air quality. Creosote is a tar-like substance that builds up in your chimney flue. Perhaps you’ve walked by a telephone pole and noticed a black, sticky substance; that is creosote. When exposed to creosote, you could experience a variety of health issues: redness, skin irritation, burning, and swelling. Further, when inhaled or swallowed, your liver, kidneys, and brain could become damaged.

Soot Inhalation

Like creosote, soot is damaging to one’s health. When burning wood, your chimney will collect soot, which carries toxins. When inhaled, it can cause respiratory infections, irritation to the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. Long-term exposure can have an even greater impact on your family’s health, such as cause cancer. You can help prevent illness by scheduling your cleaning regularly! This is a task you simply don’t want to skip.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Every year, nearly 20,000 people take a trip to the emergency due to carbon monoxide poisoning. If you can’t remember the last time you had your chimney cleaned, you’re at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning! If there is a buildup of creosote or other debris, such as nests or leaves, your chimney will not be able to properly vent. This colorless, odorless gas can lead to flu-like symptoms, nausea, fatigue, confusion, headaches, and over time, heart and brain damage, or death. Restore safety and peace of mind by scheduling your chimney cleaning now!

For information on or assistance with HVAC efficiency, give Interstate Heating & Air Conditioning a call at .

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ to learn more about maintaining a safe and energy-efficient home. Should a heating problem arise this winter, give us a call as soon as possible or schedule service online.